2006 NaNo... untitled just yet

A girl in the present uncovers the life of a girl in the past, and finds far more in common than she could ever have imagined...

Monday, November 06, 2006

-: Part 5 :-

     "Well yeah, like that one French teacher who always hits on all the guys?"
     "She wears the most tacky, gaudy earrings, all the time."
     "Like old-lady earrings, and then short skirts and capris and shit."
     "It's so bad."
     "Oh I know!"
     "OH GIIIIIIIIRRRRRLS!!!!!" We all turn toward the loud call in a familiar voice, over-dramatic as always - Carrie, her blond hair in a messy ponytail like mine, her eyes sparkling behind heavy eyeliner and eyeshadow, and a gigantic grin all over her face. "I PASSED MY CHEMISTRY TEST!!!!!!"
     We burst into applause, and Kimmy, laughing, jumps up to hug Carrie. Carrie is reknowned for her borderline flamboyant behavior (she wants to be an actress - not that anyone needs told), and is known almost equally well for her inability to pass tests. She's tried everything there is to try, but even when she can answer every question on the study guide the night before, once she gets that test sheet in front of her... everything's just gone. I feel bad, she tries so hard, but just nothing at all works. Luckily, it's not like she wants to be a doctor or something, and for all she forgets in anything else, she can memorize lines like nothing, so I guess it all works out. She never lets her grades really bother her, but she's always so excited when she does well, which I totally understand, y'know?
     "Thank you, thank you," she murmurs in false humility, still beaming like anything. She lightly tosses her purse, which sails in a graceful arch before landing in the very middle of the table, then grabs a chair and scoots up to the table, chattering loudly about how she squeaked by "all on partial credit, isn't that crazy??? I didn't actually get anything right, but, I was almost right a few times, and that was enough, isn't that great??? I'm so excited, I'm totally buying ice cream for dessert, I so deserve it. I don't care about my diet today, I'll skip breakfast again tomorrow to make up for the ice cream, but I'm going to enjoy it sooo much today."
     "You know if you go off it for even just one day, though..."
     "Oh shut up, I know, I know. But I'm not really stopping, just, indulging a little. I think I've earned it."
     "They say it's important to let yourself indulge a little now and again, remember? That way you don't like suddenly binge on everything when you have a bad day." Tara's point is met with sage nods all around the table - we've all known someone this has happened to.
     "Hey, has anyone else heard about that one new diet? I saw this commercial the other day..."
     I lose the trail of the main conversation at this point, as Kimmy leans over to murmur softly to me, her eyes flitting about conspiratorily. "So, Craig stopped at my locker before lunch."
     I raise an eyebrow. "Really?"
     She nods, a sly grin pulling at the corners of her lips. "Yep."
     "What'd he say?"
     She rolls her eyes, sighing in aggrevation. "Nothing. Of course. Y'know? Can't admit to anything, too much pride, like every other guy. He was all casual, asking why I wasn't online last night, even though my away message clearly said where I was, y'know? So lame. But I told him anyway, and he was all calm and shit, just like "oh, well that's cool, you have a good time?", and I told him yeah I did, asked how his night had been, he was all "oh I just sat around watching tv and shit, nothing really special or anything," but Carrie told me his away message was all like "talking to a girl on the phone" and a stupid little wink smiley. Fucking Jackie, I swear I could wring her little neck some days. Such a bitch. She gave me the most smug look in the hall today, I was ready to punch that stupid grin of hers. God she pisses me off. I think she's still holding it against me that she didn't get into Student Council this year, like I switched everyone's votes or some shit. What the hell. Yeah people know I don't like her, but, it's not like I took their hands and made them write someone else's name instead of hers, y'know? She acts like it's my fault people don't like her, when really it's just that she's a fucking slut, stealing guys away from everyone, being so fucking easy they can't resist, y'know? God."
     "SECRETS DON'T MAKE FRIIIIIEEEEENDS!" Carrie cries out, throwing a piece of popcorn over to land between Kimmy and I. Everyone laughs, and Kimmy rolls her eyes.
     "C'mon, it's nothing you don't already know, I just didn't want the whole cafeteria to hear."
     "Ooooo is it about what you and Dan did last night?"
     "Yeah, c'mon, spill."
     "You haven't told any of us what happened yet, only Rach and she doesn't talk enough."
     "Like I could ever get a word in edgewise, with Kimmy around."
     "Well don't start talking now, Kimmy needs to!"
     "C'mon, tell us!"
     "Alright, well, lean close, because I don't want the whole fucking school to know, alright?"
     Immediately everyone scootches their chairs inward and over toward Kimmy, the whole table condensed to about half the table - it's the middle of the period now, and anyway, it's a few weeks into the school year, so it's not like anyone random is going to come over and try to find a seat with us. Everyone's found a spot already now, and it's not going to change at this point in the year, except with like the potheads and people like that, but they're never anywhere near us so whatever.
     "Alright, so, during history yesterday he asked me if I wanted to go out for coffee after school. Well after after-school, he had a math test to make up or something, whatever. Anyway, so he comes by my house at four and picks me up." (There's a short positive murmur - we like that he has a car and a license. We're all pretty close to getting them, some of us have them, but cliché as it is, there's still something pretty awesome and hot about a guy picking up a girl in his car and taking her out.) "Luckily Dad wasn't home yet, he have wanted to meet Dan and talk about his car or whatever, and scare the shit out of Dan in the meantime, y'know? Mom didn't really care, she's usually pretty cool about me going out, anyway she was tired after work and Jenny was being bratty. Anyway so I met Dan out in the driveway, I'd been watching for him but waited a minute to come out, y'know, so I wouldn't seem too eager, right? But we talked in the car, he cranked up the radio, he's got a pretty decent system in there, he was telling me all about it but I don't know shit about audio systems so I don't remember, but he was really proud of it. So we drove out to 'Beans and went in, aaand... he wouldn't let me pay for my drink."
     "Awwww!"
     "Oh that's so sweet!"
     "Isn't it??? I argued a little, but I let him, it was so cool. Anyway so we got our drinks and found a little booth in the corner, and just hung out and talked awhile, it was really cool. Mostly just about school and shit, and he totally agrees Jackie's a fucking slut, by the way, he'd heard stories about her too. But he said Craig's a pretty good guy when he wants to be, he just gets distracted easily, like he never focuses on anything or anyone too long, that's why he dropped out of the football team after last year even though he did so well, he just got bored. And, I don't know, like we bitched about math class and some of the teachers, and talked about the big soccer game coming up, and he said he might go out for basketball this year, but he's not really sure. His parents are totally on his back about keeping his grades up so he can get into a good college, but he has no idea where he wants to go yet or anything, though they think he should start applying like now, what the fuck, y'know? Poor kid. I'm sure he'll be alright, though, he seems like he's pretty good at getting his shit together when he needs to. But yeah, we hung out there for an hour or two, then we just drove around awhile, with the radio cranked up, then he got hungry so we went through the drive-through at Burger King... oh I know, disgusting right? But he was driving so I told him to pick, I just got a salad which he thought was pretty funny, but he gave me a few of his fries, which was cool. Oh and he didn't pay for my salad, I told him he was paying enough for gas, driving us all around y'know? And then---"
     "You pulled off to the side of the road and totally fucked in his back seat?"
     "Oh my God, Carrie!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home